Monday, February 1, 2010

Poolside shoot with Rachel

Had the chance to work with model Rachel Reilly from Model Mayhem this past weekend at a beachside estate in Kapalua.

When I met her in person that morning, the first thing that struck me was the color of her hair.  I really wanted to showcase that in some of the images that we shot.  The problem was that the weather was heavily overcast and drizzling that day. (Of course, the day AFTER we shot together, it was nice and sunny. Doh!)

The sun occasionally would peek out a bit, so I alternated between using a Silver California Sunbounce mini and a White Lightning 1600 with a softbox to add some directionality to the light.

Canon 5D 70-200mm L lens ISO 100 1/160@f8

This first image was just her sitting at the edge of the pool.  I thought the blue pool would contrast well with her hair, so I stood on a chair and aimed downward to get the water in the background.  Used the WL1600 w/ softbox camera left.

 
Canon 5D 70-200mm L lens ISO 100 1/200@f11

This was one of the few times that the sun peeked out for us.   Her hair looked amazing when the wind picked it up. Used the silver Sunbounce here for fill.  I shot from across the pool, as low as I could get.

Canon 5D 70-200mm L lens ISO 100 1/160@f11

Cropped this to a square format to hide the jacuzzi and some white pipes in the background.  It also helps to put more focus on the model.

Canon 5D 70-200mm L lens ISO 100 1/160@f11

The above image was with the WL1600 at full power with a 7" reflector and a CTO gel to try to overpower the ambient sunlight.  Shooting from across the pool in the other direction, with her balancing of the far edge of the infinity pool. I tweaked the background in post a little to bump up the blue color of the sky.

No comments: